Please review this checklist before the Magazine assignment due date.
Validation & Semantics
- did you validate your html?
- did you validate your css?
- do your images have correct alt information?
- are you setting up a hierarchy of meaning with appropriate heading levels?
- are your sectioning tags (div, article, nav, footer, header) correctly used?
- have you chosen the correct format for your graphics?
- are your graphic file sizes kept low?
- are your graphic dimensions appropriate? Find your maximum needed image sizes, and then resize the images in Photoshop or another tool like the very useful XnConvert.
- if using background graphics, do they hinder readability of text?
- are file compression artifacts visible?
- are all your image (and possibly text) sources accounted for?
- were good images chosen? do they support the text?
- is there variety in image treatments?
- does your design illustrate an understanding of the graphic design principles of contrast, alignment, proximity, and repetition?
- is white space used effectively?
- are there any cliché aspects to the design? for example, just because you can make a shadow in css doesn’t mean that you should make one.
- are any design elements overdone? for example, if your heading is already bigger and in a different font, it probably doesn’t need to also be underlined and italicized.
- is your text easy to read?
- does your line-length get too long or too short at any point? For paragraph type, try to stay within 45 – 75 characters. At at the smallest breakpoints, you likely won’t even hit 45 characters, but definitely try to avoid paragraphs that have only a couple words per line.
- did you specify “fallback” fonts, even for google-hosted fonts?
- if using hosted fonts, did you download some that you’re not using?
- do your typographic heading choices establish an obvious hierarchy of meaning?
- does the “flavor” of the fonts you’ve chosen match your content?
- did you spellcheck and grammar check all your written text?
- if using wikipedia text, did you remove the footnote markers? ( eg  )
- is there sufficient contrast between type color and the color of the background? For a good color contrast tester, use this excellent tool.
- did you use the viewport meta-tag?
- does your design “break” at certain sizes?
- did you test on a real device or two?
- did you test on all of the browsers we have in the lab?
- at any point, does your text get too long or two short?
- at any point, do you have text (or other elements) sticking out of their containing elements?
- is your contact form accessible?
- does your contact form work? did you test it completely?
- is your form nicely laid out, with care taken to honor the graphic design principles listed earlier in this checklist?
Pages / Links / Etc
- did you test every page, and every link, and check that every image is showing up?
- does your 404 help your user recover from the error?
- is your navigation logical and consistent?
- does your navigation include the typical things that would be in a magazine website?
- is this actually magazine-style content? there’s a difference between a magazine and a business website, for example.
- is your “teaser” text likely to make someone want to read the article?